ROCKETS AND ROBOTS

THE OFFICIAL PLACE OF ALL THINGS POWERMAN 5000

Saturday, January 23, 2010

FINALLY SAW AVATAR!


So, I finally went to see Avatar 3D. I was beginning to feel like I was the last person on earth that hadn't gone to this thing.

What did I think?

I think it is technically stunning. The level of detail, realism, and pure artistry is beyond approach. I found myself staring at the screen wondering over and over, "how the fuck did they do that?" ... and that is part of the problem. I don't want to be contemplating, "how the fuck did they do that?"I just want to believe what I'm seeing.

Now, I just want to say, that I feel like an ass even criticizing something so popular and impressive but I have to be honest, I didn't love the film all that much. I felt like I was looking at something and thinking about it, observing it, not falling into it. It just wasn't that much fun, not in that Star Wars kind of way. I saw Star Wars in the theater when I was a kid. It blew my mind on every level and when I watch it today as an adult I still get that giddy feeling in my stomach. Fun!

I didn't get that with Avatar and that is what I was hoping for.

Maybe it was all just too much. Like a hyperactive video game with so much detail and layers that I just started to tune out, longing for a simple game of Pong.

For me some of the best moments of the film were Sam Worthington's video diaries because it was the few minutes of the movie when you actually felt like you were experiencing something real.

Ugh, I'm starting to annoy myself, sounding like a critic! I'll stop now.

Anyway, for all it's problems, I would still suggest that you go see it, but I know you have already!




3 comments:

  1. I haven't seen it yet. You weren't last. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I wrote in my own review about it: "It's not WHAT the movie has to tell but HOW he does it" - and yes, that is the problem. A slim story but it comes along with a huge explosion of stunning pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assuming Avatar's filmmaking tech will probably be used a lot more, do you think people performing via motion-capture/CGI should be eligible for acting awards?

    ReplyDelete